Description/Activities: CommLink is strictly a community-based platform and is integrated with a mobile unit that provides point-of-diagnosis HIV care. It includes community-based testing models conducted by a HTS counselor; post-testing counseling provided by an expert client which includes psychosocial support and motivational & informational counseling; identification of and referral to the most appropriate HIV care facility; escort to mobile, community-based clinical services; mobile, community-based HIV clinical services provided by nurses; individualized brief case management services by expert clients which includes follow-up support calls and appointment reminders (and SMS reminders) and first facility visit escort, expedited registration, and treatment navigation services.
What Makes the Intervention Unique/Different: CommLink is a holistic adherence support model leveraging expert clients who provide tailored support to patients; addresses barriers include transport support, treatment navigation, escort services, and consultation sessions with expert clients to assess and address the barriers to care that the client is experiencing. Also uses on-site mobile units – bringing the services to where client is.
Impact Data: ART Initiation increased from 66% to 96%;Out of 651 clients of closed cases through March 2017 (MMWR, 2018):
- 629 (97%) received mobile clinic services
- 621 (95%) were escorted to or met at an HIV clinic and provided treatment navigation support ≥ 1 times
- 553 (85%) were contacted weekly by phone
- 608 (93%) completed ≥ 3 counseling sessions
- 635 (98%) enrolled in facility-based HIV care (half of whom enrolled within 5 days)
- 541 (83%) initiated ART (half of whom initiated within 6 days of diagnosis)